Blackened Catfish, Shrimp, and Cheesy Grits
Catfish. Shrimp. Cheesy Grits. By themselves they are delightful, but when they are all together, they are absolutely heavenly! What’s even better is that this dish can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Keep in mind that the amount of grits you want is totally your decision; I made enough for 4 servings. Check out this simple recipe for some good ‘ol comfort food!
- Catfish & Shrimp
- Catfish – 2 pieces
- Shrimp – Large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Cajun Seasoning
- Cooking oil
- Cheesy Creamy Grits
- Grits – 1 Cup
- Chicken Broth – 4 cups
- Smoked Gouda Cheese – 1 ½ cups
- Butter – 2 Tablespoons
- Heavy Cream – 1 cup (more or less depending on the consistency you prefer)
- Garlic powder – 1 Teaspoon
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Reduction Sauce
- Chicken Broth- ¼ cup
- Heavy Cream – 3 tablespoons
- Paprika – Just a dash
- Creole seasoning – Just a dash
Cheesy Creamy Grits
- In a deep sauce pan or pot, add the chicken broth and bring it to a boil
- Stir/whisk in the grits, butter, and garlic powder.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and cover for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the cheese and heavy cream and stir until its creamy
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the grits from the heat and set it aside – covered, again occasionally stirring so that they don’t clump
Blackened catfish and shrimp
- Liberally season your catfish and shrimp with Cajun seasoning
- In a large skillet, add your cooking oil and heat it up. I chose to use olive oil.
- Add the seasoned fish and sear on both sides for 3-5 minutes, until it has been cooked all the way through
- Remove the fish and add the shrimp, cooking in the same way
- Renove the shrimp and set it aside as well
- In a small saucepan add the chicken broth, heavy cream, and dashes of paprika and creole seasoning.
- Allow it to simmer and remove from the heat
PUT IT ALL TOGETHER NOW!
- Take a heap of the grits and add it to your plate or bowl, top with the catfish and place the shrimp on top of the catfsh.
- Add freshly chopped green onions all over!
- Finish by pouring the reduction sauce all over!